Print  |  Favourites

FMM PRESS STATEMENT: Industry Committed to Supporting Stricter SOPs During MCO 3.0

Kuala Lumpur, May 24, 2021 – The industry is appreciative of the Government for allowing economic sectors to continue to operate during the MCO 3.0 period. At the same time, the industry is equally concerned with the recent spike in Covid-19 cases and fully supports the imposition of stricter SOPs to prevent the situation from escalating into a national crisis, including allowing only 60% of the private sector workforce to be present physically at work while the remaining 40% are to work from home.

The Government's decision to maintain the opening of economic sectors is critical because the industry will not be able to take another round of total lockdown as experienced during the MCO 1.0 where only essential sectors were allowed to operate. MCO 1.0 had not only severely impacted business sustainability but also caused massive loss of employment. Thus, a total lockdown now would cost irreparable damage to the economy and livelihood.

The Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) thanks the Government for the earnest consultation and engagement held with the industry including a recent session with YAB Prime Minister and YB Senior Minister of MITI where the industry shared the current development and reasons why a total lockdown would not be good for the nation as it would jeopardise economic recovery and the government’s projection of achieving 6.0-7.5% growth for 2021. In addition, all the efforts undertaken by the Government through the initiatives by the National Employment Council to increase job creations and accelerate economic recovery and the various PENJANA training and reskilling/upskilling efforts to get the unemployed back into the job market would be derailed.

Through our Advisories and emails including President’s personal letters, FMM will continue to update and remind members and the industry to vigilantly adhere to the SOPs and do our part to flatten the wave of infection. As this is a very serious matter that concerns individual lives and business survival, manufacturers must take immediate steps to ensure compliance or be prepared to accept the consequences of having their operations stopped with all the subsequential actions that would be taken on them including fines and penalties.

In addition, FMM calls on the Government to accelerate the mass immunisation programme through a parallel vaccination implementation by private hospitals and clinics. FMM also hopes that the vaccination for the economic sectors will be expedited to achieve faster herd immunity.

FMM reiterates our appreciation to the Government especially MITI for always engaging and facilitating on the challenges faced by the industry. As we weave through this unprecedented pandemic together, it is without a doubt that we are all front liners in this fight against Covid-19. Each and every one of us must take collective responsibility to support the Government’s continued efforts fighting the Covid-19 pandemic towards ensuring the wellbeing of the rakyat and revitalising the nation’s economy.  

DOWNLOAD PRESS STATEMENT

Tan Sri Dato’ Soh Thian Lai
President, Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers

FMM Advocates Transparency, Integrity and No Corruption



About FMM
The Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) has been the voice of the Malaysian manufacturing sector since 1968. Representing over 10,000 member companies (3,000 direct and 7,000 indirect) from the manufacturing supply chain, FMM is actively engaged with government and its key agencies at Federal, State and local levels. FMM is also well-linked with international organisations, Malaysian businesses and civil society. Apart from benefitting from FMM’s advocacy, FMM members enjoy value-add services, including training, business networking and trade opportunities as well as regular information updates.

Media Enquiries
Han Mong Ying, Senior Manager, Corporate Affairs Tel: 03-6286 7200 Email: webmaster@fmm.org.my

Back to Top

Advertising Opportunities in FMM's Directories:
Copyright © 2021 Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (7907-X)
Wisma FMM, No 3 Persiaran Dagang, PJU 9, Bandar Sri Damansara, 52200 Kuala Lumpur. 
Read FMM Personal Data Protection Act Policy